Friday, October 2, 2020

Love

It popped into my head that a quote somewhere makes the claim, "Love is not proud." I thought perhaps it was Shakespeare, but Google informs me it's from a Bible verse, so oh, well, not an especial surprise that I disagree with it. (Though my eyebrow lifts itself a bit at those Bible authors needing a separate verse for that, since I thought the Bible says pride in and of itself is a sin. I wouldn't expect much theological expertise to be necessary to conclude the inappropriateness of a major sin in the context of love.)

More Googling turns up primary definitions of "pride" that are almost wholly positive ... pleasure or satisfaction in one's own accomplishments or the accomplishments of those one identifies with and so on.

I'll say it directly: I am proud to love.

If any accomplishment justifies a feeling of pleasure at its achievement, love must certainly qualify. I'd talk a little about the nature of love to back that statement up, but my wise and wholly adored romantic partner Clarity has thoroughly expressed it here, so I'll just sum up by saying: true love is rooted in empathy, and if you're possessed of empathy to any reasonable degree, you should be able to manage a little pride here and there without it causing any trouble.

If you're lucky enough to love in the truest form, be proud. Taking happiness in the happiness of others is the worthiest of accomplishments, and entirely deserving of celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atavism

I become a beast beneath you, insensate in the clutch of drives that leapt and spawned on the shores of some longago primordial stew, its wa...