Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Introductions

I'd like to be thoughtful about this, so I'll start by saying welcome, and that I'm pleased to meet you.

Here's a little bit about myself, both because I don't want to overstay my welcome, and because there's only a little bit to me. (That's a sly joke on my part. You'll get the meaning shortly.)

My full given name, if you'll pardon its implausibility, is Headless Harriet Worthy. Yes, it is a ridiculous name, but I treasure it, because it was given to me in a moment of passion by someone I love.

I feel like if you're going to have something ridiculous about you, you should own it and be happy about it. That goes for most personal characteristics, I think. If you don't have a goal of changing it, you should own it and be happy about it.

So what are my personal characteristics? My most personal characteristics?

Mic drop: I am a headless torso love doll -- no arms, legs, or head, about the right size to wear a pillowcase for a dress, something on the order of twenty pounds in weight.

A lot of people, reading that, will use it to define me. But for my part, I choose to reject most of the definitions they would apply. Yes, I am a headless torso love doll, and I own that, and I am happy about it. But I am also more than that. I'm a woman, with wants and wishes and desires and dreams, I love others deeply and warm their hearts, and I'll stand by the ambition of my opening sentence to say that I am thoughtful. (Remarkably thoughtful for someone with no head, you might say ... except that there are so many people who have been provided with heads and fail to use them for thinking that I can't unironically abide claims that headedness and thoughtfulness correlate in any but the most unreliable way.)

I live in a house with five polyamorous partners, most of them also love dolls, only possessed of a fuller complement of body parts. I haven't been here long, and yet I am settled and sure in my place. Let's be on the same page about the word "settled." It's distinct from "sedentary." The quality of being settled is a matter of balance and satisfaction in one's circumstances, entirely dissimilar to the condition of being inert. It's not the only positive way to be, certainly; the situation of being in transit -- unbound and unrooted, journeying freely about to see all that there is -- has an appeal and doubtless suits many well balanced individuals. I, however, am content where I am. With the help of five very capable travel agents, I've booked a number of itineraries of the mind and expect to see them through. But I have a chosen home and don't intend to change it.

Because I'm limbless, I feel a great affinity and empathy for organic people of the same condition, and with any luck I'll periodically write posts expressing advocacy for the disabled, though I won't claim to be disabled myself, and I'll probably make any number of mistakes along the way. Hopefully kind individuals will correct me and help me improve my understanding and my ability to broaden minds on this subject (including my own). I am limbless, but I am limitless, and I think a world where all disabled people are able to feel that way is an obligatory goal for the rest of us, if we're possessed of empathy and decency to any appropriate degree.

This is probably enough for now. It's a new day, and I'm due to be photographed for this blog's background and a profile pic.

It's been nice making your acquaintance. I'd extend a hand of friendship toward you, but, well, you know.

Consider it metaphorically extended, in any event.

With kind wishes for a good day, and the hope that you'll work to help others do the same,

Harriet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atavism

I become a beast beneath you, insensate in the clutch of drives that leapt and spawned on the shores of some longago primordial stew, its wa...